Summer tours of the Sphinxkwartier and Frontenpark
In 2019, we will continue hosting our free tours of the Sphinxkwartier and Frontenpark. Each tour starts at 2:00 PM, where we explain the main points at the Belvédère information centre. After that, we start walking!* Our guide will take you to new businesses such as Gedeelde Weelde and The Student Hotel. From there, we will continue towards Sphinxcour, which is where both the entrance and exit of Loods 5 are located. You will not have any time for shopping though, as we have much more to see during our tour. We will proceed via the Bassin marina to have a look at Lumière film house and, when the renovation has sufficiently progressed, the Muziekgieterij (music venue).
The renovation of the Frontenpark will be completed by Strukton Civiel sometime during the summer of 2019. Depending on the progress at the time, we will walk through the Baron Dibbetspark towards the new underpass near Cabergerweg. During our tour, we will pass the fortifications that have been renovated in recent years to prevent further deterioration. If we are not yet able to continue via Frontenpark, then we will continue directly to the ‘back garden’ of the Sphinx Quarter, and we will head to Het Radium where the industrial and imposing Cokesfebrik and Gashouder buildings, definitely are worth a visit!
* The Sphinxkwartier and Frontenpark tours are not suitable for individuals with limited mobility, whatever their age. Don’t forget to wear sturdy shoes or walking boots!
Schedule until summer 2019 (Dutch language tours)
To ensure that our tour groups do not get too big, we have made signing up a requirement (on a ‘first come, first served’ basis). If you are going to join us on a walking tour, then let us know by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or calling +31 (0)43 – 350 14 60. You are welcome to bring family and friends with you! Please remember to tell us how many people will be joining you. You can register for the following dates:
- Wednesday 10 April (fully booked)
- Friday 12 April (fully booked)
- Wednesday 24 April (fully booked)
- Wednesday 8 May (fully booked)
- Friday 10 May (fully booked)
- Wednesday 22 May (fully booked)
- Wednesday 5 June (fully booked)
- Friday 7 June (fully booked)
- Wednesday 19 June (fully booked)
The tours of the Sphinx Quarter and Frontenpark last approximately 90 minutes. Participants are welcome at the Belvédère information centre from 2:00 PM.
NEW: English-language tours
We are happy to announce that we will be organizing English-language tours from time to time in 2019. If interested, then please sign up for one of the following dates by sending an e-mail to email@example.com by calling +31 (0)43 – 350 14 60:
- Thursday 2 May
- Wednesday 29 May
- Thursday 27 June (CANCELLED DUE TO TROPICAL WEATHER FORECAST)
English-language tours are also held on a first-come, first-served basis, so please make sure that you register in good time.
- Time: 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM
- Duration: 90 minutes
- Price: free of charge
- Departure point and end of tour located at: Belvédère information centre, Fenikshof 1 (entrance via Penitentenpoort between The United Nations University MERIT (Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology) and the Pathé cinema).
- Language: Dutch (with English-language tours given once a month)
- Parking (paid): P-Sphinx, entrance via Frontensingel
- Public transport: bus stop Boschstraat/Maagdendries
- Bicycle parking facility: located in front of the Belvédère information centre
- Other details: not suitable for people with limited mobility
The Sphinxkwartier and Frontenpark tours are not for individuals with limited mobility, whatever their age. Please be aware that the tour traverses rugged terrain, so we recommend you wear sturdy shoes for optimum comfort. If you are a keen photographer, then feel free to bring your camera with you.
During bad weather, i.e. lots of wind or rain, the terrain of the tour is difficult to walk on, which may result in the tour being delayed or postponed. During sunny summer weather, please remember to bring your own bottle of water or something else to drink.